Monday, October 15, 2012

Online Dating - What's It Like?

Online Dating  - What's It Like?


Image By Viking 1002


Want to try a dating site online but don't know what to expect?  Well like many people these days I have found myself single.  I have no problems going out on my own to meet men, but I thought I would give the online sites a try.  I looked into the highly publicized sites that are shown on TV as being able to find the best potential partners for you.  I found the questions lacking in substance and despite the endless inquiries, did not feel like my personality was really "evaluated".  Besides, it cost money.

Then I tripped onto Plenty Of Fish, pof.com, and had a go.  Before I even completed my profile I had two guys wanting to talk to me via instant messaging.  What a riot!  I eventually ended up meeting and going out with several very nice men.  No super hot romances at this point, but certainly I never have to spend a weekend night alone if I don't want to!

Some tips for success on Plenty Of Fish

1. Make your profile creative.  Put down interests beyond fitness and shopping.  Do not be afraid to seem intelligent.  I am a bit of a wiseass and it reflected in my profile.  A bit sarcastic is good,  but never be nasty.

2. Be careful about putting out too much information.  Unfortunately there are people that would like to take advantage of you.  So be smart about how much contact information you reveal.

3. Never say you are looking for a Knight in Shining Armour.  Besides being sooooooo over done, most men find that intimidating if not totally lame.

4. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable ban them from contacting you again. (Plenty Of Fish has all sorts of blocking options) If they really bother you report them to the admins at POF.  They run a tight ship and want a healthy site.

5. Inevitably someone will insult you.  You are in a public forum.  Don't take it to heart.  Not everybody will like you.  I had one guy call me arrogant and selfish after exchanging two messages with me.  Yikes!!!  I know I'm a bitch but was amazed how quickly he figured it out!  Actually his anger scared me a bit.  He was off my list in a hurry!

6.  I never put up a picture of myself.  Although they say you get more communication with a picture I had more than I could handle without one.  If you don't use a picture think of a famous person you resemble and describe yourself from there.  Be honest....but it never hurts to ramp up your good points.  Do not put up a photo that is from 20 years ago.  Unless you have a painting in your closet that looks like shit you have probably changed too much to pull it off.

7.  Dust off your funny  bone.  Everyone loves to laugh. so give them a reason to laugh.  When asked why I don't have a picture up I said that it was too hard to crop out the horns and my third eye. 

8.  Don't be afraid to send out greetings to guys who sound good to you.  When sending a greeting mention something from their profile that you thought was interesting.  In will give the guy much more incentive to get back to you.

9.  This is for the guys that that may be reading this.  Do not send a message to a women that just says HI, or my other favorite, got a pic?  BOORRRIIINNNGGG.  Be witty or funny. If you can't do that ask her a question about herself.  

10. Don't get discouraged.  If you meet a few dull people consider it experience and try again.  There are lots of sweet, lovable, attractive people in the world looking for some companionship.  It's free and it's easy.

Plenty Of Fish can be a fun site and it has a lot of good people on it.  But remember, it is a free and very public site so there may not be as many people on it that have your particular interests as a more select site might have.  And I am afraid that the more select sites are usually ones that require a paid membership.  However, Plenty Of Fish is a great way to get your online dating skills honed.  Who knows, you might even meet the person of your dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...